Costa Rica is seen by many as an ideal place to retire. Whether you want to retire here permanently or just get away now and then, Costa Rica is a solid investment and the perfect place to rejuvenate your soul. Many say that Costa Rica is “the Hawaii of 25 years ago”! Costa Rica offers unrivaled natural beauty, abundant and delicious fresh foods, a stable political system, a high standard of living, and low cost medical and dental care.
- Costa Rica named the “happiest place on earth.” For two years in a row, Costa Rica has been named the happiest nation on the planet! Costa Ricans report the highest life satisfaction in the world, have the second-highest average life expectancy of the Americas (second only to Canada) and have an ecological footprint that means that the country only narrowly fails to achieve the goal of ‘one-planet living’: consuming its fair share of the Earth’s natural resources”. Get more information about the Happy Planet Index.
- Biological diversity – Costa Rica, which means “Rich Coast,” is an appropriate name for a tropical paradise that’s home to such an amazing array of plants, animals, and beauty. Costa Rica comprises only 0.01 percent of the earth’s landmass (less than 20,000 square miles), yet is home to five percent of the planet’s animal and plant species. There are more species of plants and animals per acre in Costa Rica than anywhere in the world. Biodiversity is evident everywhere: 10,000 species of plants, 850 species of birds, 800 species of butterflies, 500 species of mammals, reptiles and amphibians.
Conservation policies developed during the 1970s have helped to preserve this invaluable treasure. In 2010, the World Future Council’s Future Policy Award 2010 was presented to Costa Rica for its ground-breaking Biodiversity Law. Learn more.
- Pura Vida! Costa Ricans are known for being courteous, helpful, unhurried, relaxed, educated, and environmentally aware. The commonly used Costa Rican phrase “pura vida” sums up the pervasive philosophy of living in peace and simplicity, appreciating a life surrounded by nature, family and friends.
- Switzerland of South America: Costa Rica is often referred to as the Switzerland of Latin America for its reputation of peace, political stability, and prosperity. It has no standing army, and its citizens enjoy one of the highest life expectancies in the Western hemisphere. True, you won’t find the cool efficiency of Swiss banks here, but compared to the rest of Latin America, Costa Rica is an oasis of political and economic stability. With 95%+ adult literacy, life expectancy equivalent to or better than that of the United States, a constitution that eliminated the military, over 25% of the land in national parks and preserves, national health care, unmatched biodiversity, natural beauty, clean hydroelectric power, and environmentally sound business friendly policies, you can see why Costa Rica stands out as a beacon of progress among war-torn and environmentally-ravaged Latin American countries.
- Stable investment: Travel and business journals are full of stories of the many who are establishing full-time or part-time residence in Costa Rica. As instability grows in the U.S. and worldwide, Costa Rica is becoming increasingly appealing from a lifestyle and financial perspective.
- Costa Rica offers socialized medicine as well as top notch private medical, cosmetic, and dental care.